Simply Flow: Slice of Life 3/4

This isn’t my first foray into blogging with my students, yet it’s different…strikingly different. First of all, I am blogging. What a game changer, as I share my highs and lows; my feelings of inadequacy as a writer; my joy when someone comments on the words I so carefully labored over. I also introduced the Edublog Blogging Challenge and the Slice of Life Challenge for Students and invited them to play in the sandbox with me…and they said, “yes!”

I was also much more intentional in how I introduced blogging; I slowly unearthed the various parts of that which makes blogging so utterly powerful. Blogging serves as an authentic way to share words held inside us, just dying to be liberated…freed.

These days I have become a seeker, searching for those illusive moments known as flow, described by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi as the magical moment when…

“The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you’re using your skills to the utmost.”

Today, acting as a divining rod, my camera led me to this moment between Wyatt and Noah, both boys quietly sharing what they had written, unaware of my presence. Simply in the moment. Simply beautiful. Simply flow.

2 Replies to “Simply Flow: Slice of Life 3/4”

1. It can change everything for us to be less the teacher and more the fellow journeyer. To feel what they feel about finding our words, getting them down, waiting for someone to respond. Game changer. Welcome to it.

2. How exciting for all of your students that you are blogging yourself and inviting them to join you. That’s the kind of writing atmosphere where writers can flourish! I appreciate the honesty in your post and how you connected a moment in your room with a beautiful quote.