Sharpening the Tools: Slice of Life 3/16

While student agency is one of the most important aspects of the personalized classroom, it doesn’t mean that learners are free to do whatever they wish. Students learn how to prioritize their work using a two step process. First, they use something similar to Stephen Covey’s Time Management Grid which includes experiences rooted in the Common Core Standards.

Next, students plan out their day with, “SOTC”, which stands for Status of the Class, made popular by Nancie Atwell. Think of it as a “To Do List”, something many adults use to manage their daily activities.

I have been struggling with this part of the process. Originally, we used the digital document below:

I still like the document but it’s digital format makes it challenging for me to easily see what my learners will be working on that day; the process must be quick and efficient but provide me with a fairly detailed account.

I’ve moved on to a new method of making students’ daily activities visible which I will share on Monday. I’m not completely satisfied with it either, but I continue to make modifications to it.

Do you have any suggestions? As I said, this is an essential part of the personalized classroom, so I feel like I need to continue to fine tune the process.

One Reply to “Sharpening the Tools: Slice of Life 3/16”

1. I read about Status of the Class in Reading in the Wild. I especially likes how she does that quick comprehension check by asking the to record, I’m in the part where… those kids hat are not getting their reading in (30 minutes) can keep,a reading itinerary so they can learn to read “on the edges”.thsnis a book you might get some good ideas from